Redhat ES Patches

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold friz at godshell.com
Sat May 15 02:25:24 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens said:
> Yes, you must use up2date.  However, you can set up an "ignore" list
> of RPMs you _don't_ want automatically installed.  Use "up2date
> --config" to set that up.

And up2date does a great job with this...

> up2date does a reasonable job of sorting out what's "newer" than what
> you have--but only for things installed via rpm.  If you do a tarball
> install, up2date (because it queries the rpm database) will have no idea
> that you installed, say, PostgreSQL 7.4.2 (the latest) via tarball,
> while the latest RPM is 7.3.6.  So, when they finally come out with a
> 7.3.7 rpm, it'll get installed and might stomp on your 7.4.2 version.
> That's one of the problems with multiple distribution formats.

You could always, of course, roll your own rpm's...  It can be a challenge
at times, but it definitely pays off when you have to update multiple
machines...

Supposedly there is a way to get up2date to look at your own personal rpm
repository and you can distribute your rpm's to your other machines in
this manner.  This is something I've got on my todo list...  :)

> "You pays your money...you takes your chances!"
> -  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
> -                              rigged demo.                          -

---------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
Engine / Technology Programmer
friz at godshell.com
RedHat Certified - RHCE # 803004140609871
MySQL Pro Certified - ID# 207171862
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone
and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the
source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao
of Programming."