RedHat Linux 7.2 or latest release?

Dan_MailLists dan_maillists at danwasthere.com
Wed May 19 09:10:09 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm new to both Linux and this list.

I'm building a site (or will be shortly) on a managed server that has Red Hat Linux 7.2 installed. I want to set up a development server here so I can also work locally on a test platform. The test platform is a PentiumIII 500, which will be partitioned to share the HD between Win98 and this Linux, in case that matters.
The website will include the use of PHP4, MySQL3.23, cron and some third party newsletter software as yet unchosen.
I've never installed Linux before, and haven't used it much either.

My question is - should I install 7.2 here, or should I just get the latest release? What would the differences be, and do they matter?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Dan Searle.