RedHat Linux 7.2 or latest release?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 15:08:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 11:10:09AM +0200, Dan_MailLists wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to both Linux and this list.
>
> I'm building a site (or will be shortly) on a managed server that has Red Hat Linux 7.2 installed. I want to set up a development server here so I can also work locally on a test platform. The test platform is a PentiumIII 500, which will be partitioned to share the HD between Win98 and this Linux, in case that matters.
> The website will include the use of PHP4, MySQL3.23, cron and some third party newsletter software as yet unchosen.
> I've never installed Linux before, and haven't used it much either.
>
> My question is - should I install 7.2 here, or should I just get the latest release? What would the differences be, and do they matter?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give,
> Dan Searle.

This may well not answer your question.  I'd be very hesitant to pay
someone for server space on a machine running a version that is
several revs past support.  I wouldn't mind too much if they were
running RH 9 (with all updates) as it was EOLed less than a month ago,
but RH 7.2 is three revs behind that.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
A man who can kneel before God can stand up to anything.