XFS in Fedora Core 2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 19 18:57:57 UTC 2004

Andre Meyer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> After a great new download of Fedora Core 2 yesterday, I immediately
> tried to install it. My first thought was that I needed to try uot XFS
> because I read a lot about how cool and fast XFS was compared to ext3.
> After finding out that one needs to boot the installer using "linux xfs"
> (undocumented) I chose to format with XFS and install.
>
> Unfortunately, at the end of the installation it hung while trying to
> install the bootloader GRUB. After a reset, FC2 boots, but only in text
> mode. X won't start, because - I assume - the installation was not
> finished.
>
> Why does XFS not work? What can be done about it?

It did work.  The system booted, did it not?  If you log in and do a
"mount" command, the filesystems show up as mounted under XFS, right?

Why didn't X-Windows start?  That's a good question.  You might try to
start it manually by entering "startx" or by "telinit 5".  You may still
have to configure it via "redhat-config-xfree86".

Also note that "xfs" can be confusing (and I wish the twits who
developed the XFS file system took that into account).  There's "xfs"
the filesystem AND "xfs" the "X font server" (which predates the
filesystem by a number of years).  Make sure you specify which one
you're speaking of.  Note that if "xfs" (the font one) isn't running,
X-Windows won't run, either.
-  Animal testing is futile.  They always get nervous and give the   -
-                             wrong answers                          -