xfs running with no x session

Bruce McDonald brucemcdonal at mindspring.com
Fri May 21 23:30:18 UTC 2004

Hello Rick

On 21-May-04, you wrote:

> Bruce McDonald wrote:
>> Hello Rick

>>> Yes, but it should be running on a local Unix-domain socket, not over
>>> TCP/IP.

>> It is running on a Unix socket. Having sent the previous question I
>> figured that it must listen for X to start and then call the font server.
>> It is good to be sure though.

> Actually it's quite the opposite.  X depends on having xfs handle fonts
> for it, but xfs is not dependent on X in any way beyond X's font
> directories.

Ok, so xfs runs constantly in the background waiting for calls from X to
serve fonts.  And obviously, X makes no calls unless it is running.

Somehow I got myself thinking it acted like xinetd listening for a call and
then starting the appropriate deamon.....   Don't ask how I confused
myself.  I don't know.  heheh

Just wait til I start asking firewall questions!  <evil grin>

Regards,
Bruce McDonald