RH equivalent to winipcfg?

Eric Whitcombe ericw200 at covad.net
Mon May 31 17:17:10 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Kinz" <jkinz at kinz.org>
To: "Getting started with Red Hat Linux" <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: RH equivalent to winipcfg?

> On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 05:33:22PM -0700, Eric Whitcombe wrote:
> > Actually winipcfig is a command-line utility that gives you a quick
> > read-only output
> > of your network settings including IP address.
>
> Your thinking of ipconfig,  the requester referred to "winipcfg" which
> launches a gui on Windows systems. :)

Right. But winipcfg only comes with win9x/ME as Paul pointed out.
And from memory and looking at te docs for winipcfg it is also read-only
output.

> > And ifconfig on linux will give you essentially the same info.
> > RedHat 9
>
> No - it does not.  Take a look at ALL the info that winipcfg pumps out.
> Really look this time.  :)
Yes. That's why I said "essentially"; if you "really" read the user question
they wanted to know
quickly what IP address their DHCP server gave them.

> Eric,
> Your email client is producing about six lines for reply-attribution,
> one line is sufficient (and expected).
>
> There is a patch available which may fix that.
>
> Here is the url for patches to MS outlook and exchange that will fix
> them so they work correctly for internet email use:

> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Jeff,
     Your responses are producing a highly didactic and fatuously
brow-beating output that seems
to serve only to demonstrate your superior intelligence. Please refer to the
craigslist in your area for
psychological counseling and therapy services.
;-)

Eric