Port Forwarding

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Tue Nov 2 01:15:55 UTC 2004

Please see below.

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Rick Stevens wrote:

> brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > Gentlemen,
> >
> > I read the page on SSH (http://rhil.net/docs/ssh_setup.html) and
> > want to clarify some things
> >
> > I have three IP's I'm using/seeing
> >
> > the IP of the Modem (24.X.X.X)
> > the IP of the Linksys switch (196.X.X.X)
> > the IP of the computer (196.X.X.X)
>
> Uh, you mean the Linksys and computer are on 192.168.x.x.  Odds are
> the Linksys is 192.168.1.1 and your computer is something like
> 192.168.1.10.  It's OK to publish the 192.168 addresses, Brad, as they
> ain't routable.
>
> > I'm thinking the command my son is to use for SSH is "ssh
> > 24.X.X.X"
>
> Yup.
>
> > I need to forward TCP Port 22 on the switch to the IP of the
> > computer.
>
> Yup.  Let's say that the computer is 192.168.1.10 and the switch/router
> is 192.168.1.1.  You want to get onto the router and tell it that
> "WAN (public) access to port 22 is to be forwarded to port 22 on
> 192.168.1.10".  This is also why you want to set up your local machine
> to have a fixed address and not get one via DHCP--if your machine gets
> a different IP, the forwarding won't work.
>
> > I'm guessing his signal will come to the Modem which will forward
> > everything to the Linksys switch.  The switch will see something
> > coming in on Port 22 and forward it to the computer also running
> > SSH (or PUTTY) which will handle the login and then do nothing.
>
> Yes.  Actually, the router will NAT incoming port 22 traffic, changing
> the destination IP to 192.168.1.10.  Conversely, the source IP of
> outgoing traffic from 192.168.1.10 will be NATted to 24.x.x.x.
>
> > Then he runs RealVNC to see the remote  screen on his local
> > computer and he can do as he wants from there.
>
> You got it.
>
> > I suspect some of the things he will want to do are:
> >
> > check remote  email
> > pull up old reports he written for other classes (this remote
> > machine was his school computer prior to his new notebook this
> > year)
> > Print these reports  - will he be able to print locally or only
> > remote at my house?
>
> Everything he does on the desktop will be actually performed at your
> house--all he has is a remote display.
>
> > Down load files from home to school.
> >
> > Based on the VPN conncetion I have from home to work I don't
> > think he will be able to do the last two (at least I can't with
> > my work computer).
>
> Well, he'll be able to download using sftp.  Remember, the RealVNC just
> makes the desktop appear on his local machine.  Any file activitity
> actually occurs on your machine at home.  If he wants to move files from
> your place to his, he needs to run sftp.
> -   "I was remembering the immortal words of Socrates when he said,  -
> -   'I drank what?'"                 -- Val Kilmer in "Real Genius"  -

Thanks Rick, I knew I got carried away with the X's but they are
eaiser to type than a number 8^)

Next question (my son, Derek, hasn't had the time to try to log
in - school, girls, work, girls, etc) From home I can VNP into
work then just use my Remote viewer to look at any computer I
want.  We have 5 computers networked here at home is it possible
to have him hit any of those without me having to change the
Linksys forwarding?

Thanks again,

Brad