Port Forwarding

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 2 02:07:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 06:15:55PM -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> Thanks Rick, I knew I got carried away with the X's but they are
> eaiser to type than a number 8^)
>
> Next question (my son, Derek, hasn't had the time to try to log
> in - school, girls, work, girls, etc) From home I can VNP into
> work then just use my Remote viewer to look at any computer I
> want.  We have 5 computers networked here at home is it possible
> to have him hit any of those without me having to change the
> Linksys forwarding?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Brad

If I may step in, the answer is "sort of".  What he can do is SSH to
your Linux box, and then SSH from there to any other machine on the
internal network.

I use a cast-off machine running Linux as my firewall, so I have it
pick up all SSH.  I SSH to my firewall, then SSH to any other machine
on the network from there.  That means that file copies are two-stage
operations, which is inconvenient, but doable.

Perhaps you could set up a tunnel with the first machine, and then
tunnel through the tunnel to get to the other machines.  I've not
tried anything that complex because I haven't needed it.  Rick can
doubtless elucidate further.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.