does redhat support nfs version 3?

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Thu Nov 4 15:29:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 02:52:44PM -0000, John Dunn wrote:
> Does redhat support nfs version 3? It seems that my install only supports
> version 2. Is there an upgrade available?

RedHat does indeed support V3, although it may be disabled out of the box.

Depending on your nfs servers/clients combination, you may want to
beware stock RedHats doing V3 -- we have had extremely bad
experiences involving RedHat v7.2 and v7.3 when talking to Network
Appliance filers.  The RedHat clients assume an absurdly high data
window, which has the effect of DOS'ing the NetApp as far as the rest
of the network is concerned.

This problem has been addressed in errata kernels, though we still force
V2 on 7.x clients as a matter of course.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: