ActionTEC 701wg

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Nov 5 00:49:08 UTC 2004

I just upgraded the speed of our DSL link so our users can access our
servers much faster now (it's faster than the T1 at work!)

However, one of the 'features' of this 701wg is that outbound to inbound
http connections ALL go to the admin pages of the stupid beast. I've
contacted Actiontec and they haven't responded. I see the actiontec runs
linux and there's a line:

thttpd -d /usr/www -u root -p 80 -c /cgi-b... (line length cuts off more)

SO, we can't access any of the webpages on our server from inside the
network, only from the outside.

Have any of you seen this and know if there's a way around it? I've
thought of using port 88, but then outside folks would have to know that,
too, which is something I don't want to deal with or have to implement.

Now for a peek inside my personality: I think it's d--- arrogant (or
stupid and short-sighted) of a company to do something like this to their
users.

Karl