ActionTEC 701wg

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Nov 5 02:54:21 UTC 2004

karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> I just upgraded the speed of our DSL link so our users can access our
> servers much faster now (it's faster than the T1 at work!)
>
> However, one of the 'features' of this 701wg is that outbound to inbound
> http connections ALL go to the admin pages of the stupid beast. I've
> contacted Actiontec and they haven't responded. I see the actiontec runs
> linux and there's a line:
>
> thttpd -d /usr/www -u root -p 80 -c /cgi-b... (line length cuts off more)
>
> SO, we can't access any of the webpages on our server from inside the
> network, only from the outside.
>
> Have any of you seen this and know if there's a way around it? I've
> thought of using port 88, but then outside folks would have to know that,
> too, which is something I don't want to deal with or have to implement.
>
> Now for a peek inside my personality: I think it's d--- arrogant (or
> stupid and short-sighted) of a company to do something like this to their
> users.

I'm assuming (probably a bad idea) that the Actiontec is the 701wg and
that it's your DSL modem or router.  If that's the case, and people on
the LAN side can't see web pages hosted on a server that's also on the
LAN side, then you've got a routing issue.  Either the default route
being given to your DHCP clients is wrong or you've got the wrong
netmask that makes your webserver look like it's on a different subnet
than the DHCP clients.  That would force the traffic out to your modem
or router.
-     I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!       -