New FC2 not allowing ssh connections

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 14 04:12:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 07:08:27PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:43:10 -0600, Bob McClure Jr
> <robertmcclure at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >   service iptables status
> >
> > If it reports it's on with a giant laundry list, turn it off with
> >
> >   service iptables stop
> >
> > Turn it off permanently with
> >
> >   chkconfig iptables off
> >

> This was the problem. Now I'm connecting fine.
>
> I don't know a thing about iptables, other than it can block things.
> Since I'm behind firewalls I'm somewhat less concerned about running
> it at all so I'll leave it off for now, but it would be nice to get it
> turned on and open up port 22 as required.

Well, if your hardware firewall is properly set up, that's a
belt-and-suspenders approach.  But if you must, either use the
provided "firewall-config" for a simple interface, download one of the
third-party packages like Smoothwall or Shoreline, or go to

http://www.linuxguruz.com/iptables/

and get down and dirty.

> Thanks much for helping me get to the bottom of this.

You're welcome.  Glad I could help.

> - Mark

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com