New FC2 not allowing ssh connections

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 15 17:21:05 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I built a new FC2 machine from scratch recently. It's been working
> fine for outgoing connections. Today I wanted to connect to it but
> haven't been able to. When I attempt to connect to it from my laptop
> or another FC2 desktop I get:
>
> flash mark $ ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish -l mark 192.168.10.101
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.10.101 port 22: No route to host
> flash mark $

You have a routing issue on flash, Mark.  Check "netstat -rn" and verify
that a) your default route is correct and b) that your netmask is
correct.  192.168 is a non-internet-routable class B (/16) network, so
you can safely get by with a "255.255.0.0" netmask.

>    I've started sshd and looked at /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd_config. It
> says it allows X11Forwarding. It has port 22 commented out, but I
> assume that's OK. Anyway, I tried uncommenting it and restarting sshd
> but no improvement.

It's not an SSH issue, it's a routing issue.  You have no route to the
192.168.10 network.  If you can dump out the results of "ifconfig -a"
and "netstat -rn", we can help.
-         Microsoft Windows:  Proof that P.T. Barnum was right       -