Kickstart and EM64T version of RedHat

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Nov 19 23:45:37 UTC 2004

Padmanabh Padaki wrote:

> I am unable to get the kickstart work for AMD64/EM64T version of RedHat
> ES 3 version.
>
> Here are the details,
>
> - downloaded the update 3 of ES AMD64/EM64T from Redhat
> - copied all the CD to the directory on the kickstart server
> - set up the http server and made all the necessary changes
> - created a ks.cfg file wit all the necessary info
>
> on a Dell 1850,
>
> at  the boot prompt, I typed the following.
>
> boot: linux ks=http://server.domain.com/EM64T-V3-U3/ks.cfg
>
> this puts me into the interactive mode - good old installation with CD
> method
>

> I can do a kickstart on a Dell 1850  and install ES U3 for x86 without
> any problem using the http and nfs method.
>
> Is there something UNIQUE about EM64T installation?

It's possible.  I've heard a number of things about 64T installs that
make me nervous about anything other than a CD installation.

The fact that it puts you in interactive, CD mode indicates to me that
something in the network code isn't there.  Have you checked the other
virtual consoles (ALT-F2, etc.)?  Have you tried it by specifying the IP
address of the server rather than the FQDN?  Maybe the DNS doesn't
resolve.  Kickstart is a bit, uhm, terse when it comes to useful error
messages.
-               Duct Tape + Magic Marker = Label Maker!              -