Seagate STT3401A on FC2

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 23 02:14:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 08:03:20PM -0500, Ken & Joy Carr wrote:

> [...]

Glad to hear you are rolling tape.

> I have learned a lot from this list. It's good to have gurus like you and
> Rick and others to help us newbies along. Thanks for being there.

You are quite welcome.  Rick does more than I, though.  I take the
easy ones and he (and Jeff Kinz and other experts) catches the hard
ones.  Someone who manages a few hundred machines has learned a lot.
Fortunately, he's willing to share it.

> > Here's an interesting thing about my tape.  After a reboot, an attempt
> > to back up to it results in a failure like "device busy" or some
> > such, but the next and all following work fine.  When I upgraded to
> > FC2, I think that problem went away.  I don't recall.  I don't reboot
> > that much. :-)
>
> Yes, IDE tapes are normally "/dev/htx" or "/dev/nhtx".  SCSI tapes are
> "/dev/stx" and "/dev/nstx".
>
> Bob, you might try "mt -i /dev/ht0 rewoffl" first (rewind and eject).
> Sometimes that initializes the drive adequately to prevent such issues.
> -    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
> -    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.