Swapping Motherboards and different CPU

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 01:25:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 08:13:15PM -0400, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> Fellow Red Hatters,
>
> Time for me to bite the bullet and to upgrade my hardware.
> The PLAN is to keep costs to minimum and swap Motherboards & CPU
>
> >From BX440BX/ZX/DX Motherboard having a
>      Intel Pentium II CPU 300 Mhz with
>      256 MB RAM
>
> ->To ASROCK Motherboard having a
>      AMD SEMPRON CPU 2500 or 2800 Mhz with
>      512 MB RAM
>
> I will retain my HD,32 MB AGP Graphics Card, Intel(R) PRO/100 Network
> Card, CDRW and Printer. The plus is that I will not have to replace my
> 300 Watts Power Supply.
>
> My OS is Red Hat 9 with Linux version 2.4.20-31.9
>
> Question to you all knowledgeable people is what do I need to know and
> be aware of after putting it together and upon rebooting my system.
>
> Will my present OS be operational on reboot?

Most likely will.

> What will I be prompted to do what on reboot?

When Kudzu does his thing, he will likely discover old devices that
are not there and offer to "unconfigure" them.  Just hit Enter and he
will do that.  Then he will find new devices and offer to "configure"
them.  In the same way, just hit Enter and he will do that.

> Can someone let me know what I am getting myself into and be prepared
> for what?

It already knows about your video card and network and CD devices, so
I'd say it should be pretty painless.  With more memory, you should
now have a swap partition of about 1GB (about 2x RAM).  If you don't
have that much, and it's too much trouble to change your partitioning,
you can create a swap file to make up the difference.  "man mkswap"
for more information, as well as The Fine Manual

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-swapspace.html

> Has anyone done this and what were their experiences?

Painless.

> I hope, I have covered almost all my bases and wish to anticipate any
> upcoming problems, so any help is appreciated.
>
> Chris Cz (intermediate newbie)

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.