Ethernet interface

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 20:42:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:56:03PM -0400, Kenneth Tindle wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a RH9 machine with three ethernet interfaces.  I was using
> eth0 assigned to a wired interface, now I have to switch it to
> a wireless interface.
>
> I did have "BOOTPROTO=static" in
> the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file.  Foolishly,
> I thought this config would not "leak" anywhere else- this is Linux,
> so there is no mystery Registry.  So I merrily switch back to
> "BOOTPROTO=dhcp", and...
>
> ifconfig shows the static address for eth0!  No matter what I do
> now, eth0 and that initial static IP are locked tightly together
> and will not let go.  Yes, this does persist through reboots and
> machine turn-offs.
>
> So, where on disk did the initial setting for eth0 go?  I've gotta
> clobber it, or I'm stuck tight.
>
> --
> Learning Linux is like joining a cult.  Sure it's fun at first but you waste
> time, become brainwashed, and then have to be de-programmed by Bill Gates
> before you can work for Him again.
> - Ray Lopez, in UFhK4.33289$y4.1192894 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net

I don't know how it's used (Rick Stevens or Jeff Kinz may be able to
explain), but look in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/.
There's an ifcfg-eth0 you may need to change.

That may be an artifact of the late, unlamented linuxconf.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.