Ethernet interface

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Oct 5 20:59:14 UTC 2004

Kenneth Tindle wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a RH9 machine with three ethernet interfaces.  I was using
> eth0 assigned to a wired interface, now I have to switch it to
> a wireless interface.
>
> I did have "BOOTPROTO=static" in
> the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file.  Foolishly,
> I thought this config would not "leak" anywhere else- this is Linux,
> so there is no mystery Registry.  So I merrily switch back to
> "BOOTPROTO=dhcp", and...
>
> ifconfig shows the static address for eth0!  No matter what I do
> now, eth0 and that initial static IP are locked tightly together
> and will not let go.  Yes, this does persist through reboots and
> machine turn-offs.

First, did you replace the card or simply remove it?  Remember that most
wireless cards don't use the "ethX" device name, but rather use "wlanX",
so make sure your "DEVICE=" line reads "DEVICE=wlan0".  If you use
"BOOTPROT=dhcp", then only things that MUST be in that file are:

	DEVICE=wlan0
	BOOTPROT=dhcp
	ONBOOT=yes

Optional things that should work:

	HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  (MAC address of the card)
	DOMAIN=whatever
	TYPE=wireless  or  TYPE=ethernet

Optional things, depending on your type of wireless network:

	MODE=managed    or     MODE=adhoc
	ESSID=your-ESS-ID
	CHANNEL=your-wireless-channel-number
	KEY=s:your-ASCII-WEP-key  or  KEY=xxxxxxxxxxx (your key in hex)
	RATE=11Mb/s    (or whatever your network does)

You should probably delete the following or clear the bits after the
"=":

	IPADDR=whatever
	NETMASK=whatever
	GATEWAY=whatever  (if present)

You may wish to delete the "GATEWAY=" in /etc/sysconfig/network if the
DHCP server gives you a gateway to use.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the device is probably now "wlan0"
rather than "eth0" and try not to specify things you want the DHCP
server to give you as setting those values may override what dhclient
gets.
-        "More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"         -