How to speed up my internet connection

Larrys Account larry.cotton at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 9 18:02:42 UTC 2004

Hi

This is a little off topic, but I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me
where I can find the information.

I recently made an enquiry about setting up a printer on red hat 8 and
e#was informed it would be advisable to upgrade to a later version, since
redhat 8 had been deprecated. I decided to upgrade to fedora core 2 and
started downloading the disks.

I was a bit shocked to discover each disk (about 640M) is taking about 60
hours to download. By my calculations a 56k link should take about 26 or 27
hours. I'm supposed to have a 300k link - which should (again by my
calculations) take about 5 hours.

I guess something is a bit wrong with my connection and I was wondering if
anyone knew where I could go to get information about why it is so slow ?
I'm running redhat 8 and have set up internet sharing on a small Man, so I
guess this set up is causing it to go so slowly.

Or are my estimates of expected download times simply way out ?

Cheers
Larry