Epson Stylus Color (not) C80 Printer IPP Setup

Brenda Radford brkittycat at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 10 19:06:46 UTC 2004

Novice to Enterprise Linux 3 AS, currently enrolled in Red Hat Academy,
needs help with Epson C80 printer setup.

Please respond with step by step instructions.  I am a novice, as I said.

I have a small network at home, and am using Epson External Ethernet Print
Server. I have had no success using
redhat-config-printer. Maybe I am not putting the right information into the
boxes on the Queue Type tab. With CUPS
web interface, I am able to print, but not in color.

CUPS Admin goes like this:
    Modify Printer EpsonC80
    Device for EpsonC80
        Internet Printing Protocol (http)   (continue)
    Device URI for EpsonC80
         <http://192.168.x.x:631/>
<http://192.168.x.x:631/EPSON_IPP_Printer>
http://192.168.1.1:631/EPSON_IPP_Printer    (continue)
    Model/Driver for EpsonC80
        Make:  EPSON  (continue)
    Model/Driver for EpsonC80
        Model: Epson Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.1(en)   (continue)
    Printer EpsonC80 has been modified successfully

With this configuration, I can print, but not in color. Suspect that is
because of not being able to select
the specific model of printer, at least partly.

I have visited  <http://www/linuxprinting.org> http://www/linuxprinting.org
and learned that the Epson C80 works with the gimp-print driver,
which is the recommended driver in the redhat-config-printer application. In
that application, I am able to
select the specific C80 printer Model. If I could get this configured
properly, I could probably print in color
and maybe also get the correct number of lines per page so that I wouldn't
have lines at the bottom of my
pages that only print the tops of the letters on the last line and lines at
the top of my pages that only print
the bottoms of the letters on the first line.

The printer works perfectly from my Windows 2000 Professional box. I am just
having trouble printing from my
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS box.

Thanks in advance for replies to my request for assistance.

Brenda