Epson Stylus Color (not) C80 Printer IPP Setup

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 11 17:39:48 UTC 2004

Brenda Radford wrote:
> Novice to Enterprise Linux 3 AS, currently enrolled in Red Hat Academy,
> needs help with Epson C80 printer setup.
>
> Please respond with step by step instructions.  I am a novice, as I said.
>
> I have a small network at home, and am using Epson External Ethernet
> Print Server. I have had no success using
> redhat-config-printer. Maybe I am not putting the right information into
> the boxes on the Queue Type tab. With CUPS
> web interface, I am able to print, but not in color.
>
> CUPS Admin goes like this:
>     Modify Printer EpsonC80
>     Device for EpsonC80
>         Internet Printing Protocol (http)   (continue)
>     Device URI for EpsonC80
>         <http://192.168.x.x:631/>http://192.168.1.1:631/
> <http://192.168.x.x:631/EPSON_IPP_Printer>EPSON_IPP_Printer    (continue)
>     Model/Driver for EpsonC80
>         Make:  EPSON  (continue)
>     Model/Driver for EpsonC80
>         Model: Epson Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.1(en)   (continue)
>     Printer EpsonC80 has been modified successfully
>
> With this configuration, I can print, but not in color. Suspect that is
> because of not being able to select
> the specific model of printer, at least partly.

It looks like you got the right driver.  From which application is the
color not happening?  If it's from the Gimp, then click on the
"Image/Output Settings" tab and make sure "Color" is selected.  Ditto if
you're printing from another application.

> I have visited http://www/linuxprinting.org and learned that the Epson
> C80 works with the gimp-print driver,
> which is the recommended driver in the redhat-config-printer
> application. In that application, I am able to
> select the specific C80 printer Model. If I could get this configured
> properly, I could probably print in color
> and maybe also get the correct number of lines per page so that I
> wouldn't have lines at the bottom of my
> pages that only print the tops of the letters on the last line and lines
> at the top of my pages that only print
> the bottoms of the letters on the first line.

That's typically a calibration thing.  Go to this URL:

	http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html

and look at step 6 carefully.  Make sure you perform those steps to make
sure the foomatic drivers use the right clipping and offset regions.
-    If Windows isn't a virus, then it sure as hell is a carrier!    -