Mounting windows partition

othman El Moulat moulatm at menara.ma
Thu Oct 14 19:53:42 UTC 2004

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:32:40 +0300
From: Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr>
Subject: Re: Mounting windows partition
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
<redhat-install-list at redhat.com>

Greetings ,

administrator tootai wrote:
> othman El Moulat a écrit :
>
>> Hi Guys;
>> I guess there might be a way to a RH Linux user to access the folders
>> and files in a windows partition on the same machine...
>>     I want to be able to automatically mount the win partition and the
>> other devices such as the floppy and the CdRom...
>>

> Extract from my fstab
>
> /dev/hda1               /dos            vfat
> defaults,users,gid=6,umask=7            0 0
> /dev/fd0                /floppy         auto
> users,noauto                            0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /cdrom          iso9660
> ro,users,auto                           0 0

The only thing is that the cdrom will never get mounted at boot time
unless there is a cdrom in the cdrom drive , same deal for  the floppy .
The magic here is the word "auto" which says automatically mount the
device specified in the first column  to the mount point specified in the
second column .

> /dev/sda1               /Nikon          auto
> users,noauto,gid=6,umask=7              0 0
>
>> Any Ideas?
>>

> enough ? ;-)
>
>> thanks

Kind Regards,
    Kostas
thanks Kostas;
I tried ading the command for mounting the dos partition into the etc/fstab
file and it's working fine...
But I've noticed an issue linked to the Modem for my ADSL connection!
If the dos partition is mounted automatically by the magical "auto"
parameter ;then my Modem don't get operational after login to the RH
system...I have to unmount the dos part so that it could get it
operational...so i changed the "auto" param to "noauto"; and i opted for
mounting the dos box manually after login...
 any ideas about this problem?
    thanks Indeed....
regards
othman