Epson Stylus Color (not) C80 Printer IPP Setup

Brenda Radford brkittycat at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 00:10:01 UTC 2004

Have tried several times to post reply to Rick Stevens using Microsoft
Outlook 2002, and post isn't making its way to the list.   I don't know
what I am doing wrong.  This attempt is from the Hotmail web interface. If
this posts to  a new thread instead of as a reply to the original thread,
sorry.
Couldn't make it happen.

Rick,

This is my first mailing list post, so if you get two of these, sorry. I
have done newsgroups before, just not mailing lists. And oh, do I love
Microsoft Outlook (not).  If this doesn't get to the list, I give up.

Looks like I am not going to be able to avoid reading the CUPS
documentation, so I printed them from my Windows box and hope to get to them
soon.  They look a little less intimidating than they did at first glance.

Tried printing using the Gimp (one of the .png images I had copied earlier
from /usr/share/pixmaps) and I got color! Thanks for that. While I was in
there, I looked at those settings you told me about, and Color was selected,
obviously. Haven't tried printing any photos or any other image format.

The color is not happening from the CUPS "Print Test Page" button in the
CUPS web interface, for starters. OUCH! The color is not happening in web
pages printed using the Mozilla browser, for seconds. I looked at the
Preferences in Mozilla and couldn't find any options for changing printing
except File menu, Page Setup, Select or Unselect printing the background.

Color not expected, and not happening in printing from Terminal window (pipe
commands to lpr, always text). Learned about eog last week for viewing
images from Bash. Wouldn't have occurred to me otherwise to even think about
doing anything with image files in Terminal window other than listing them
with ls or dir.

Thanks for the calibration info. The page I printed from Step 6 needs to
move a little to the right and down on the paper. I need to find that better
ruler I have before I fiddle with those settings. I printed both those files
out so I can read them before I run the alignment application again. I will
also read some pages I printed from _http://www.linuxprinting.org_
<http://www.linuxprinting.org/>.

I am still wondering about that redhat-config-printer application, since I
was able to print color using the Gimp and gimp-print is the recommended
driver in r-c-p. While running the alignment program, the print queue
appeared as "EpsonC80". The documentation shows Path (default, I think) in
r-c-p as /printers/queue1, and the Server as servername.example.com. My
system is set up as localhost.localdomain, the default configuration. I
checked it by looking at /etc/hosts and also by typing "hostname" in the
Bash shell. I tried putting _http://192.168.1.1:631/EPSON_IPP_Printer_ in
the Server box but the python script (whatever?) that runs r-c-p adds an
"ipp" to the Server and doesn't print. When I can't get r-c-p to work, I go
back to the CUPS web interface and change it back to what I know works.
That's where I saw that the "ipp" had been added to the Server name. The
modifications r-c-p has made show up in the CUPS web interface boxes.

Thanks for your help.

Brenda