up2date problems with new kernel

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Sep 3 21:25:23 UTC 2004

Benjamin Hornberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having the following problem on RHEL AS3: When running up2date,
> there was an error message saying something about the module ieee1394
> not being available for the new kernel (I don't know how to retrieve the
> exact error message). Now it looks like the new kernel won't be used,
> even though the kernel as well as the kernel-smp-unsupported package
> were updated by up2date (I need the kernel-smp-unsupported package for
> firewire support).
>
> Even though I have eight kernels available, there are only four entries
> in /etc/grub.conf (see below). It looks like the last kernel update (one
> before today's) wasn't reflected there either. Also, grub by default
> boots the non-smp kernel. The "default=1" entry in /etc/grub.conf which
> I inserted manually recently now disappeared (after today's up2date, I
> guess).

Without a "default=" entry, grub will boot the first OS it sees in its
file.

> Why doesn't up2date enter the new kernels into grub.conf? If I enter
> them manually, is there anything important I have to consider? What will
> happen after the next up2date (in case a new kernel is available again?)?

It should insert it.  up2date will NOT make it the default kernel
because the system may not boot the new kernel.  up2date's philosophy is
to install the kernel and let the user test it manually.  If it's OK,
then the user must make it the default manually.
-                Huked on foniks reely wurked for me!                -