up2date problems with new kernel

Benjamin Hornberger bho at gmx.net
Fri Sep 3 21:34:35 UTC 2004

At 02:25 PM 9/3/2004 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>Benjamin Hornberger wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>I am having the following problem on RHEL AS3: When running up2date,
>>there was an error message saying something about the module ieee1394 not
>>being available for the new kernel (I don't know how to retrieve the
>>exact error message). Now it looks like the new kernel won't be used,
>>even though the kernel as well as the kernel-smp-unsupported package were
>>updated by up2date (I need the kernel-smp-unsupported package for
>>firewire support).
>>Even though I have eight kernels available, there are only four entries
>>in /etc/grub.conf (see below). It looks like the last kernel update (one
>>before today's) wasn't reflected there either. Also, grub by default
>>boots the non-smp kernel. The "default=1" entry in /etc/grub.conf which I
>>inserted manually recently now disappeared (after today's up2date, I guess).
>
>Without a "default=" entry, grub will boot the first OS it sees in its
>file.

Yes, that's why I put the default line in there. But up2date just removed
it. Anyway, why wasn't the default on the smp kernel in the first place???

>>Why doesn't up2date enter the new kernels into grub.conf? If I enter them
>>manually, is there anything important I have to consider? What will
>>happen after the next up2date (in case a new kernel is available again?)?
>
>It should insert it.  up2date will NOT make it the default kernel
>because the system may not boot the new kernel.  up2date's philosophy is
>to install the kernel and let the user test it manually.  If it's OK,
>then the user must make it the default manually.

But on a different machine, also 2-processor with RHEL AS3, it worked that
way. up2date gets the new kernels (non-smp and smp), inserts them into
grub.conf and leaves the default=1. And since the two entries are added at
the top, default=1 now points to the NEW smp-kernel.