Redhat-install-list Digest, Vol 7, Issue 5

Sam Duvall mlftsamd at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 22:10:21 UTC 2004

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Will not fully boot (Jeff Kinz)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:29:58 -0400
> From: Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org>
> Subject: Re: Will not fully boot
> To: redhat-install-list at redhat.com
>
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:09:27PM -0700, Sam Duvall
> wrote:
> > I have Red Hat 8 and the power went off. Now it
> will
> > not boot past this;
> >
> > Bringing up interface ppp0:
> >
> > how can I force it past this?
>
> ppp0 - is usually a dial-up modem connection.
> (Can also be DSL - sometimes)
>
> If it can't bring up the connection, and that
> connection is required
> for one of the boot time services, like "sendmail",
> then your boot
> can take a long time.
>
> Does it really stop booting completely or, if you
> wait 10-15 minutes
> does it then continue?
>
> (P.S. is the modem still plugged into the phone
> line? )

The modem is still plugged in but when it went dead
from power loss I was setting up my dialup and hadn't
finnished with it.

Also when setting up the dialup it couldn't find the
modem. I done a new hardware search but couldn't find
it.

Also when I try to boot to DOS it gives me this;

booting 'DOS'
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
_

^--"above is supposed to be a cursour"

If I could find out how to run fdisk in linux I would
start all over because I have nothing to lose in it
now.

Thank you in advance

Sam Duvall

P.S. Is this the right way to reply?