moving hard drive to new machine : can't get past grub

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 20 02:38:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 09:26:39PM -0500, P. George wrote:
> oops.  forgot to spellcheck.  i promise i don't normally spell
> "important" with an 'n'.
>
> ;)
>
> so, anything else i should try?
>
> i still have the install cd's.  could i use them to do anything here?
> (besides blow away my entire original configuration)
>
> - philip

Hmm.  Well, at this point I'm grabbing at straws.  You're not working
with a (much) different processor are you, say gone from an Athlon to
a P4?  If it's a mere upgrade, shouldn't be a problem, say from P2 to
P4.  If there's any question, you could boot from your distro disk and
"upgrade" it.

The only other thing I can think of is wierd devices.  I'd unplug
anything non-essential for booting like USB devices.  Or, in that same
vein, you could boot with a "nousb" option.  Do that the same way you
booted to runlevel 3, before.

Also, we prefer bottom posting here (post your response under what you
are responding too).  Of course, we've already made quite a mess of
it.

Answer: Because it makes it easier to follow the flow.

Question: Why bottom-post?

> On Sep 19, 2004, at 9:21 PM, P. George wrote:
>
> >tried it.  no change.
> >
> >the video card is the same actually.  in fact, the motherboard/cpu is
> >the only thing different from the old setup.  same
> >ram/video/monitor/psupply.
> >
> >sorry, that's inportant info.  i should have been more clear before.
> >
> >- philip

> >>My guess is that it doesn't grok the new video stuff, so you should
> >>boot to text mode (runlevel 3) where you can re-run
> >>redhat-config-xfree86.  To do that, use your up or down arrow keys so
> >>that the desired boot line is highlighted, then hit "a" to append to
> >>the boot line.  Then hit a space and then "3", and hit return.
> >>
> >>See also
> >>
> >>http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#x_fails
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>--