Changing CDRom to CD-ReWriable Recoder

Chris A Czerwinski chrisczerwinski at cogeco.ca
Mon Sep 27 19:04:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 15:12, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 02:24:31PM -0400, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> > Fellow Red Hatters,
> >
> > I wish to change my present TOSHIBA - CDROM
> >                          to SONY's - CD-ReWritable Recorder
> > My present OS is RedHat 9.
> >
> > If I were to swap my CDRom and exchange for the CDRW and
> > when I reboot the PC - Will KUDZU prompt me for new hardware?
>
> It probably will.

** It did not!!!

> > Or will I have to Uninstall my TOSHIBA - CD-ROM, shut down the PC and
> > then do the swap and will KUDZU prompt me for new hardware.
>
> No.  It will likely recognize that the Toshiba is gone and ask if it
> may "unconfigure" it, before it asks to let it "configure" the Sony.

** This did not happen either!!!

> > What other things am I to do when before swapping CDROM's
>
> Not much of anything that I know of aside from Reading The Fine Manual
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/
>
> especially Chapter 4.
>
> > Chris Cz (still a newbie)
>
> Cheers,

Following the Manual...

When I open Gnome -> System Tools -> more System Tools -> CD Writer
it opens with GnomeToaster 1.0Beta6
which I am not familiar with.

In Terminal Session and as root

# rpm -q xcdroast
  replies with "not installed"
# rpm -q cdrecord
  replies with cdrecord-2.0-11.9.1
# cdrecord -scanbus
  complains cannot open '/dev/pg Cannot open SCSI driver and dies

When I put a CD into the SONY CDRW, it comes alive and
displays on my desktop the contents of my CD which I then can Eject

I want to know what is my next step so I can Write to it.

Chris Cz (still a newbie)