Changing CDRom to CD-ReWriable Recoder

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Mon Sep 27 22:11:04 UTC 2004

Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> Fellow Red Hatters,
>
> I wish to change my present TOSHIBA - CDROM
>                          to SONY's - CD-ReWritable Recorder
> My present OS is RedHat 9.
>
> If I were to swap my CDRom and exchange for the CDRW and
> when I reboot the PC - Will KUDZU prompt me for new hardware?
>
> Or will I have to Uninstall my TOSHIBA - CD-ROM, shut down the PC and
> then do the swap and will KUDZU prompt me for new hardware.
>
> What other things am I to do when before swapping CDROM's
>
> Chris Cz (still a newbie)

Apart from enabling the ide-scsi emulation ,
which Bob McClure suggesting in his last posting there is
pretty much of anything that you have  to do .
Both CD ROM drives and CD Recorders are ATAPI devices , so kudzu
will not prompt you for a change of hardware since as far as he
( kudzu ) is concerned there was no change . You simply swapped
ATAPI devices , even if you change the CD ROM drive with a DVD ROM
drive , nothing much will happen.
So simply after you make the hardware change , read the man page
of mkisofs ( this makes the iso files ) and then the man page
of cdrecord ( this writes the iso files created by mkisofs ) and
that's all that it is .

Kind Regards,
    Kostas