Changing CDRom to CD-ReWriable Recoder

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 27 19:45:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 03:04:29PM -0400, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 15:12, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 02:24:31PM -0400, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> > > Fellow Red Hatters,
> > >
> > > I wish to change my present TOSHIBA - CDROM
> > >                          to SONY's - CD-ReWritable Recorder
> > > My present OS is RedHat 9.
> > >
> > > If I were to swap my CDRom and exchange for the CDRW and
> > > when I reboot the PC - Will KUDZU prompt me for new hardware?
> >
> > It probably will.
>
> ** It did not!!!

Sorry.

> > > Or will I have to Uninstall my TOSHIBA - CD-ROM, shut down the PC and
> > > then do the swap and will KUDZU prompt me for new hardware.
> >
> > No.  It will likely recognize that the Toshiba is gone and ask if it
> > may "unconfigure" it, before it asks to let it "configure" the Sony.
> >

> ** This did not happen either!!!

What can I say?

> > > What other things am I to do when before swapping CDROM's
> >
> > Not much of anything that I know of aside from Reading The Fine Manual
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/
> >
> > especially Chapter 4.
> >
> > > Chris Cz (still a newbie)
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Following the Manual...
>
> When I open Gnome -> System Tools -> more System Tools -> CD Writer
> it opens with GnomeToaster 1.0Beta6
> which I am not familiar with.
>
> In Terminal Session and as root
>
> # rpm -q xcdroast
>   replies with "not installed"

Install it from CD #3.

> # rpm -q cdrecord
>   replies with cdrecord-2.0-11.9.1
> # cdrecord -scanbus
>   complains cannot open '/dev/pg Cannot open SCSI driver and dies
>
> When I put a CD into the SONY CDRW, it comes alive and
> displays on my desktop the contents of my CD which I then can Eject
>
> I want to know what is my next step so I can Write to it.
>
> Chris Cz (still a newbie)

Assuming you are using GRUB, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and add to the
end of the kernel line: hdb=ide-scsi
Change "hdb" to whatever device your Sony is.

For more info, see

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

If that doesn't get you going, then I pass the baton to Rick Stevens.
I've yet to own a CDR, much less a CDRW.  So I'm a relic.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.