smartd.conf

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 17:53:19 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 10:31 AM, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Scott Mertens wrote:
> > I am getting a [FAILED] on the bootup for smartd.
> >
> > The man pages say this is some sort of disk monitoring service, and I am
> > wondering if it is failing because my SATA drives are being recognized
> > as SCSI drives as seem below.
> >
> > Disk /dev/sda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
> > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> >
> >   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> > /dev/sda2              14       24321   195254010   8e  Linux LVM
>
> smartd is a daemon that watches SMART-compatible drives.  SMART allows
> the drive to tell the daemon how healthy it is (total number of power
> on hours, number of power cycles, etc.).  It isn't necessary for you
> to use it--and many drives aren't SMART-compatible.
>
> In other words, don't worry about it.

Rick's probably right. If you want to turn it off then look into
chkconfig. The command would probably look a bit like this:

chkconfig --level 2345 smartd off

Currently on my desktop I get:

[root at Godzilla root]# chkconfig --list | grep smartd
smartd          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[root at Godzilla root]#

good luck,
Mark