Identifying Memory Leaks

Tech Guy tek_guy at rediffmail.com
Thu Apr 7 18:40:54 UTC 2005

Hello

One of our production system crashed twice in a week and I found there was hardly any memory and swap left before the system hung ( both the times).
I have Weblogic application server and Apache webserver running on it . There are also some monitoring applications that¡¯s running on it. The memory in the server is 4GB and the SWAP is 2 GB and it consists of four CPUs which should be quite sufficient.OS is RHAS 2.1

Both the times when the system went into hung state there was no memory and swap . I checked the system logs and no logs complained of any insufficient system resources or any kind of h/w failure.
I want to know what caused the system to crash and why the memory and swap went down drastically during that period. I also want to know how to identify Memory Leak ?
I would like to know the utilization of memory of all the process in the system.( command "ps" is not that helpful)

I appreciate if anyone can give your suggestions. I guess lot of them have faced such situations. Please give your inputs.