Static IP

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Apr 12 22:02:42 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:
[snipped old content]

>>Fedora Core 2 started using "system-config-whatever" to differentiate
>>it from RHL or RHEL.  I know that RHEL4 is based on Fedora Core 2, but
>>since Fedora isn't an "official" Red Hat product, I had (wrongly)
>>assumed they had reverted to calling them "redhat-config-whatever" to
>>pull them back into the Red Hat product range.  That's what I get for
>>making assumptions. Now I know better and I thank you for the education.
>>
>>(I am now kicking myself--quite a feat for an old geezer like me)
>

> I wasn't aware Redhat went commercial. I most likey got duped as I
> called Rh and told them I wanted to set up a file and Print server in
> RH, and was told I needed this RHEL4 or I couldn't set up a print server
> win Windows Clients.  Then I found these boards. Looks like it happened
> back to front for me.
>
> So I purchased - I think as much as I hate using support, I'll get my
> monies worth.  However most days you just don't have time to sit on hold
> and wait for a tech.  Most days I have time to send email in questions,
> then MAYBE check during the day for replies, today is an exception.

Let me explain.  Red Hat used to put their premier software up for free
downloads.  This was called "Red Hat Linux" (RHL) and is the stuff
you're most familiar with (Red Hat Linux 5.2, 6, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, 7.1,
7.2, 7.3, 8.0, and 9).  You got free updates for three months if you
signed up for the Up-2-Date service.

They had two "commercial" products, Red Hat Advanced Server (AS) and Red
Hat Enhanced Server (ES) in two versions, 2 and 2.1.  All four (ES2,
ES2.1, AS2, AS2.1) were based on Red Hat Linux 7.2.  The primary
difference was that the Enhanced versions were limited to two processors
and 16GB of RAM, the Advanced versions were unlimited (16 processors and
64GB of RAM).

When the beta-test versions of RHL10 were being beaten on by those of us
who were willing to test it, Red Hat decided that they really needed to
go commercial.  They pulled Red Hat Linux off the market (well, they
stopped making it) and made everything "Red Hat Enterprise Linux".
Fedora Core 1 became the basis for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, version 3.

There are four major permutations of Red Hat Enterprise Linux: Advanced
Server (AS, unlimited processors and 64GB RAM), Enhanced Server (RHES,
two processors, 16GB RAM), Workstation (RHWS, two processors, unlimited
memory) and Desktop (RHDT, 1 processor, 4GB RAM).  You must pay for RHEL
and are required to select one of their support programs.  For many,
many people, RHEL is a really good deal.  Of course, if you know what
you're doing, you can recompile, say, an ES kernel and make it an AS
machine, but Red Hat won't support it as an AS machine.

Fedora Core (FC) is the "farm team" for RHEL.  Stuff you see in FC will
eventually make it into RHEL.  As you now know, ES4 (technically "Red
Hat Enterprise Linux Enhanced Server Version 4") is based on Fedora Core
2.  We are now doing beta testing on Fedora Core 4, test release 2.  The
next major release of RHEL (RHEL5) will probably be based on FC4 in a
year or so.

> I did buy a book on RHES, and it came with 4 CD's for FC.  Problem was 2
> CD's were numbered Disc #1, and 2 CD's were numbereed Disc #4.  I
> somehow didn't think that would work.

Well, it could be a labeling problem or they could have actually screwed
up and put in the wrong CDs.  You'd have to look at the contents of the
disks to see if they did.

> Thanks again, I really like Linux as it makes me think, and when I'm
> brain dead others on these boards help me think.

That's why we do what we do.  Keep in mind that no one on these boards
works for Red Hat (well, there's a couple that do), and NO ONE gets paid
for what we do here.  All we ask is that you share your knowledge and
experiences.  If someone else has a problem and you know how to fix it,
don't wait for an invitation--just chime in with the answer.

You might also want to join the "fedora-list" for more stuff fedora-ish.
-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -