Static IP

mylar micros50 at computer.net
Tue Apr 12 17:37:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 20:30, Scott Mertens wrote:
> New Linux User:  Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)
>
> I am in the process of setting up Printer sharing on this Linux box for
> WIN XP users. I think some of my problems might be resolved if I can set
> up a static IP for this box.  Currently it gets one from a Linksys
> router connected to ISP.
>
> How can I tell Linux to use a static IP, but use DNS and other info
> provided by ISP/Linksys router?

Depends on from where your XP users are connecting to your printer. If
they are all on an internal LAN then it doesn't matter if your Internet
IP is static or dynamic. If users are accessing printer services across
the Internet then a static IP would be a good idea.

Easiest way to find out whether you are static or dynamic is to check
with your ISP. Dialup connections are traditionally dynamic new IP
assigned every time a connection is established). Many broadband
connections can be either dynamic or static. To be 100% certain I'd
check with the service provider (and hope that they know)...

mylar