File Size

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 18:04:00 UTC 2005

Brad,
   I'll have to check out Digital DJ. I'm always interested in music apps.

   We currently have to copies of our nearly 50GB ogg library:

/dev/sdb1             57685532  46269680   8485600  85% /home/mark/music

This copy is on a local 1394 drive. I got tired  of wireless network
dropouts interferring with my listening. The library is about 7500
songs from over 600 CDs. It was quite a job to rip. Took my wife and I
working together over a month to do it. I'm not vey happy with the
ripper we used. It was jsut the Sound Juicer app that comes as part of
Gnome. The problem we've had is not short files as you are seeing but
rather bad rips or conversion to ogg causing noise, glitches, skips,
etc. Or strategy has just been to go back and rerip things when we
find a bad one. I don't know what else to do.

For listening we're really happy with a fairly unknown app created by
one of the leading Linux audio developers called Aqualung. It's young
yet but is very focused on getting the audio part right. To my ears it
shows. He does things like being able to link together multiple audio
files so that playing a CD with no breaks on the CD comes out as no
breaks when listening here. (Think 'Dark Side of the Moon'.)

Anyway, glad it's working for you. Welcome to the wonderful world of
Linux audio. Come join us on the pro audio side one fo these days. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark