NFS help

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 12:15:47 UTC 2005

On 8/28/05, Otto Haliburton <ottohaliburton at comcast.net> wrote:
> you sort of have the idea, but not really.  When a node comes up all
> computers basically report their resources to the DNS where they are used to
> resolve the addresses for the lan, so a node wants to communicate with
> another node it's request goes to the DNS and bingo if the node has reported
> to the DNS then it sends the info.  This is a transparent thing, you don't
> need to do anything with the hostname cause if you have a DNS server then
> the node will report to the DNS.  Simply you don't have to do anything DNS
> stands for dynamic name server.

DNS stands for Domain Name System and no DNS server I run works like
this as it would make it incredibly easy for services on the network
to be hijacked. The mappings from IPs to names are set by me in the
DNS server, not by what random machines report to the DNS server. If a
machine comes up and reports to my DNS server that it is my kerberos
server, well, my DNS server will laugh at that machine and continue to
report the correct IP and name for the real kerberos server on the
network.

A DNS server can accept dynamic updates, however, these typically come
from other trusted DNS servers, not from random machines on the
network.

John