X problem(may be)

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 29 00:29:16 UTC 2005

> Hi :
>    I installed FC3 on a desktop, which has a bit old CPU
> confugurations and when I open a terminal, it acts so slow that
 only you can see the border of the terminal and the
> username, but
> can't see any cursor. I can't see what I type, just the
> wallpaper.
> It's very very very slow, I can't move anything and
> many times it
> just freezes and can't even logout. If I switch to single user
> mode without "X" then everything works fine and fast enough.
> 	First I thought it might be a memory problem,
> since I had 128 MB
> RAM, then I added another 512 MB, but no change. Second
> I thought
> it might be a disk problem, since I had only 4GB for the linux
> partition, where as another 30GB for windows (which
> works fine),
> and then I added complete new hard-disk of 80GB and
> installed the
> linux again, but still no change. Now I am clueless,
> what should I
> do ? Since I spent quite a few on this, I want help of
> you guys to
> guide if I can solve this problem.

> Here is the output of "/proc/cpuinfo" and "/proc/meminfo"

> `cat /proc/cpuinfo`
> --------------------
> processor       : 0
>
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
>
> cpu family      : 6
>
> model           : 4
>
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
>
> stepping        : 2
>
> cpu MHz         : 1000.574
>
> cache size      : 256 KB
>
> <snip>
> bogomips        : 1957.88
>

> `cat /proc/meminfo`
> --------------------
> MemTotal:       645808 kB
>
> MemFree:        416152 kB
>
> <snip>
>
> 	Thanks
> 	---Tapas

When I had problems with X, somebody suggested I look in the log file.

Have you looked at the X log file to see if there are any errors (any line
with EE)?  You may have to update something in the X config file.

On my system (RHEL 4), the two files you need are found in:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

FC3 may have different names.  I think it uses XFree, I'm not sure.

Michael