X problem(may be)

Tapas Ranjan sarangi at bpost.kek.jp
Wed Aug 31 03:20:51 UTC 2005

> > Hi :
> >    I installed FC3 on a desktop, which has a bit old CPU
> > confugurations and when I open a terminal, it acts so slow that
>  only you can see the border of the terminal and the
> > username, but
> > can't see any cursor. I can't see what I type, just the
> > wallpaper.
> > It's very very very slow, I can't move anything and
> > many times it
> > just freezes and can't even logout. If I switch to single user
> > mode without "X" then everything works fine and fast enough.
> > 	First I thought it might be a memory problem,
> > since I had 128 MB
> > RAM, then I added another 512 MB, but no change. Second
> > I thought
> > it might be a disk problem, since I had only 4GB for the linux
> > partition, where as another 30GB for windows (which
> > works fine),
> > and then I added complete new hard-disk of 80GB and
> > installed the
> > linux again, but still no change. Now I am clueless,
> > what should I
> > do ? Since I spent quite a few on this, I want help of
> > you guys to
> > guide if I can solve this problem.
>
> > Here is the output of "/proc/cpuinfo" and "/proc/meminfo"
>
> > `cat /proc/cpuinfo`
> > --------------------
> > processor       : 0
> >
> > vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> >
> > cpu family      : 6
> >
> > model           : 4
> >
> > model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
> >
> > stepping        : 2
> >
> > cpu MHz         : 1000.574
> >
> > cache size      : 256 KB
> >
> > <snip>
> > bogomips        : 1957.88
> >

> > `cat /proc/meminfo`
> > --------------------
> > MemTotal:       645808 kB
> >
> > MemFree:        416152 kB
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > 	Thanks
> > 	---Tapas
> >

> When I had problems with X, somebody suggested I look in the log file.
>
> Have you looked at the X log file to see if there are any errors (any line
> with EE)?  You may have to update something in the X config file.
>
> On my system (RHEL 4), the two files you need are found in:
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> FC3 may have different names.  I think it uses XFree, I'm not sure.
>
> Michael

Thanks for the suggestion. Without getting into so much of trouble,
I installed VMware workstation on the windows partition and now, its
working fine with FC3.
	I have an extended question. Since I have another FC3 installed
in another 80 GB  hard disk separately, now when I add it into my box,
the the hard disk which has windows, windows doesnt boot anymore. I guess
the former has become the "master disk" and all the time booting
to fedora...Can anyboy please suggest, if I can delete these linux
partition, so that I can use more space for the "Linux in Windows"...

Thanks
Tapas