Installing fedora - what to do with /boot partition ?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Thu Dec 8 10:07:47 UTC 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 07:44, Mark Ryden decided we wanted to hear the
following:
> Hello list,
Hello Mark!
> I assume that it will use the existing swap partition
> as a shared swap partition.
yes it will, that would be normal behaviour

> What will happen ? is it OK ?
yes
> Will it destroy my FC3 /boot partition ?
no
> Will I be able to boot into both FC3 and FC4 if I will
> continue ?
yes but not immediately (some adjustments will need to be made)
> Or will it create the files for the bootstrap process under the
> free partition I am installing ( (namely /dev/hda3)) ??
yes, in a directory called /boot

> I decided to stop the installation process here and post this
> question.
if you want to keep FC3 installed as well as FC4, the following may help:
in the FC4 installer, configure your bootloader to be installed on /dev/hda3
(instead of on /dev/hda)
after the install and a reboot you will see no boot options for FC4 (you'll
still be using the FC3 bootloader).
Boot into FC3 as usual and then edit /boot/grub/grub.conf
add the following lines:

title Fedora Core 4
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

the next time you boot your system you should have a new option available that
will fire up the bootloader from FC4 instead

HTH

Regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
"Quit worrying about your health.  It'll go away."