LVM Question

Arden B. Norder anorder at nordix.nl
Mon Dec 19 22:14:20 UTC 2005

Hi again,

I think that RedHat is only presenting an example - one would have to taylor
his/her own story to fit their own particular need. /home on a LVM volume is a
gooe idea if it is for file services. /var if it is meant for mail services or
if your system does alot of logging. /var/www or /srv/www if you are an ISP or
hosting alot of content in a intranet situation.

My grandma always used to knit me socks - every year a little bit bigger -
that's Logical Volume Management.

Wierd example but it is the best I can com up with at almost 23:30.

Greetings from Holland . . . g'nite!!

Arden

On Dec 19, 2005 09:31 PM, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli at visualtech.ca> wrote:

> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 20:10 +0100, Arden B. Norder wrote:
> >

> >>Hi Mark,
> >>
> >>I use LVM regularly on "mega servers" in much the same way that RedHat is
> >>talking about. I do it in this way because it makes my life alot easier foar
> >>adding space or moving space from one machin to another.
> >>
> >>Gotta like it.
> >>

> >I agree.  Having / on a fixed size filesystem isn't generally a problem.
> >I might even say /usr is also OK, unless you like to add lots of new
> >software.
> >
> >That being said however, /home on a multiuser system will rapidly fill
> >up and having it on LVM so you can grow it on the fly is a "good
> >thing".  Also, depending on what your system is doing and how careful
> >you are about tracking things, /var (as in /var/log) on an LVM volume
> >can also be useful--logs can grow to be huge farking things.
> >
> >Again, it rather depends on what you're planning to have the system do.
> >For the vast majority of home users, LVM is nice but not really
> >necessary.  On large multipurpose server systems, LVM is almost
> >mandatory!
> >

> Using building Web Servers or Email Servers, for the /home using came
> grow fast (sometimes make a /www folder).  I was just wondering why in
> Red Hat's manual they would create a LVM Volume Group, then in the
> Logical Volumes they add a fixed /home directory?  Because the /home can
> grow the most would not it be better to have it under the / Logical
> Volume for you do not run out of space. Just a little puzzled by Red
> Hat's Example.
>

> >>Greetings from Holland!!! ;)
> >>

> >And greetings to you as well, from La-La-Land (California)!
> >

> Merry Christmas from Canada! Lots of snow and COLD!

> >- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
> >- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
> >-                                                                    -
> >-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
> >-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -
> >

> --

Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,
Arden B. Norder
Nordix Consulting en Automatisering
Menno van Coehoornstraat 12
Sloten, 8556 AR
THE NETHERLANDS

Mob: +31 (0) 6 2148 7568
Tel: +31 (0) 514 531 382
Fax: +31 (0) 514 531 197

Nordix is a Solcon Internet Diensten BV Agent
Nordix is a SuSE Linux Premium Partner

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
distributing it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, these
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the Nordix mail domain.
Always scan attachments before opening them!!!