ATI Radeon Pro Installation

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 23 19:34:35 UTC 2005

Joseph Abrahams wrote:
> Hi. I recently installed Redhat 9.0. I'm trying to get my ATI Radeon
> 9800 Pro to work correctly. For starters I didn't have the kernel source
> files installed. After installing them and letting linux update them, my
> /usr/src/ folder now contains Linux2.4.20-31.9. I made a link to this
> folder called LInux, but during installation of the ATI driver
> "fglrx_4_3_0-8.10.19-1.i386.rpm" I am told I have unresolved symbols.
>
> ATI's solution to this is work around the errors by the following
> commands:
> cp /boot/config-`uname -r` /usr/src/linux/.config
> make oldconfig
> make dep
> and then reinstalling the kernel by /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/sh
> make.sh
> at this point I am told that my /usr/src/linux/include/ drectory has bad
> links and that I should change the links in /usr/include and
> /usr/src/linux from "" to "2.4.20-8".
>
> This seems wrong since my /usr/src/ folder contains Linux2.4.20-31.9.
>
> Also, once this is worked out, I have a dell 2005FPW wide-screen monitor
> and would like to set this to run in optimal resolution.

You must install a kernel source RPM that matches your running kernel.
 From what you say above, you're still running the ancient 2.4.20-8
kernel (which was the one shipped with RH9), yet you've installed a
kernel source RPM for 2.4.20-31.9.  They don't match.  This is
equivalent to having a 4-cylinder Ford Escort, but buying engine parts
for a Chevy LT06 V8 for a Corvette.

Either update your running kernel to 2.4.20-31.9 (highly recommended!)
or install the kernel source RPM for 2.4.20-8 (ugh!).  Then try to do
the ATI stuff.
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -