network card driver install problem (broadcom)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 4 19:05:08 UTC 2005

Rajesh wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my Laptop (Compaq nx5000). It has
> not recognized my network card
>
> which is Broadcom 440x. I have downloaded the driver from
> www.broadcom.com and have gone through
>
> the README file for instructions.
>

>    1. Installed the source RPM package using
>
>  rpm –ivf bcm4400-3.0.8-1.src.rpm
>

>    2. cd /usr/src/redhat
>    3. rpmbuild –bb SPECS/bcm4400.spec
>

> I am stuck here, when I type this command it complains about gcc not
> found. So, I have installed gcc-3.2.2-5.
>
> After I installed the gcc I am getting lots of compiling errors when I run
>

> rpmbuild –bb SPECS/bcm4400.spec
>

> Linux gurus please help me to get this working.

It would help a lot if you give us some examples of the errors you're
getting.  I trust you also installed all of the gcc dependencies such as
libgcc.  You must also install the kernel source RPM and configure the
kernel source.
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -