network card driver install problem (broadcom)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 4 19:15:16 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Rajesh wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I have installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my Laptop (Compaq nx5000). It has
>> not recognized my network card
>>
>> which is Broadcom 440x. I have downloaded the driver from
>> www.broadcom.com and have gone through
>>
>> the README file for instructions.
>>

>>    1. Installed the source RPM package using
>>
>>  rpm –ivf bcm4400-3.0.8-1.src.rpm
>>

>>    2. cd /usr/src/redhat
>>    3. rpmbuild –bb SPECS/bcm4400.spec
>>

>> I am stuck here, when I type this command it complains about gcc not
>> found. So, I have installed gcc-3.2.2-5.
>>
>> After I installed the gcc I am getting lots of compiling errors when I
>> run
>>

>> rpmbuild –bb SPECS/bcm4400.spec
>>

>> Linux gurus please help me to get this working.
>

> It would help a lot if you give us some examples of the errors you're
> getting.  I trust you also installed all of the gcc dependencies such as
> libgcc.  You must also install the kernel source RPM and configure the
> kernel source.

Red Hat 9 is dead, by the way.  You might want to install one of the
Fedora Core distributions (I consider Fedora Core 3 ready for prime
time, now.).

All of the Fedora releases include the b44 (Broadcom 4400) driver pre-
built.

NOTE:  The b44 driver is NOT for the Broadcom wireless chips.  AFAIK,
you still need to run ndiswrapper and the Windows XP/2000 drivers.
-   Errors have occurred. We won't tell you where or why.  We have   -
-                         lazy programmers.                          -