xterm and logon banners

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 7 23:01:26 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> Using exceed, I start an xterm through rexec.  I just get the prompt.
> No logon banner.
>

> I’ve tried, /ets/issue, /etc/issue.net, /etc/motd, gdm.conf, etc.  no dice.

/etc/issue is for local login sessions.  /etc/issue.net is for telnet
sessions.  /etc/motd is printed out after login.

> Anyone else have any ideas?

If you're talking about the GUI login, that's part of the xdm or gdm
display manager, not xterm.  You need to have xdm or gdm on the remote
Linux system to send its display to your local X server.  This is done
by uncommenting the "RemoteGreeter" line and setting it to "gdmgreeter":

	RemoteGreeter=/usr/bin/gdmgreeter

on the Linux machine.  After that, you'll need to restart X on the Linux
machine.

Once that's done, use Exceed to start an xdmcp session to the Linux box.
The Linux machine should see the start request and put up the GUI login
on your Exceed screen.
-           "I understand Windows 2000 has a Y2K problem."           -