FC3 and StarOffice 5.2

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Fri Jan 7 23:26:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 06:28, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > Hello Rick,
<snip>

> That's because EL is STILL based on Red Hat Linux 7.2.  EL4 will be
> based on Fedora Core 2 with a 2.6 kernel.

Yes, another lister also posted me the same info. I guess I can read
into that that the 2.6 kernels are finally becoming stable. Do you know
which kernel version will be in EL4? I might upgrade to that to test it
on SO before upgrading to FC3

> As to the USB compatibility issues, newer 2.6 kernels (such as the
> latest for FC2 and FC3) are far more stable with USB than predecessors.
> Also keep in mind that 2.6 kernels depend on udev and a new model of the
> hotplug software.  There were teething problems and many people don't
> quite grok udev, device mapper and hotplug yet.
>
> > Now that I have got that out of my system, the next question is, If I
> > upgrade to FC3 and SO simply fails to load and run (a la 2.6.8 kernel),
> > can I go back to an earlier kernel, say 2.6.6 or even earlier (2.4 for
> > example) under FC3? And another question if I may, can Evolution 2 be
> > installed under FC2 without major dependency problems do you know
> > offhand? I know I can try all this and see but I would like to know what
> > other's experience has been before I burn my bridges. If no one else has
> > any experience of these questions then I have been known to jump
> > blindfolded :-)
>
> You can revert to any kernel you wish, so long as you stay within the
> main version (e.g. don't try to go back to a 2.4 kernel if you're
> running a 2.6 kernel...the modutils and stuff are TOTALLY different).

OK. Thank you. (Embarrased blush!) I was aware of the modutils etc.
stuff being totally different but, due to an overheating of the brain, I
wasn't thinking clearly when I mentioned going back to 2.4 kernels.
However, the main thing is that I can go back to any 2.6 kernel version.
That's good.

Thanks again Rick,

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.