FC3 and StarOffice 5.2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 7 23:34:21 UTC 2005

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 06:28, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Graeme Nichols wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Rick,
>
> <snip>
>
>>That's because EL is STILL based on Red Hat Linux 7.2.  EL4 will be
>>based on Fedora Core 2 with a 2.6 kernel.
>

> Yes, another lister also posted me the same info. I guess I can read
> into that that the 2.6 kernels are finally becoming stable. Do you know
> which kernel version will be in EL4? I might upgrade to that to test it
> on SO before upgrading to FC3

I have no idea what kernel EL4 will use.  I suspect something in the
2.6.8 arena, but I can't be sure.

[snip]

>>You can revert to any kernel you wish, so long as you stay within the
>>main version (e.g. don't try to go back to a 2.4 kernel if you're
>>running a 2.6 kernel...the modutils and stuff are TOTALLY different).
>

> OK. Thank you. (Embarrased blush!) I was aware of the modutils etc.
> stuff being totally different but, due to an overheating of the brain, I
> wasn't thinking clearly when I mentioned going back to 2.4 kernels.
> However, the main thing is that I can go back to any 2.6 kernel version.
> That's good.

Yup, that should work.  There may be occasions where that might be an
issue, but I really don't think it'll happen often (if at all).

> Thanks again Rick,

No worries, mate.
-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -