want to add hard disk to running RH9/Win2K conf

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 10 00:08:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 09:47:49PM -0800, Vaibhav Deshpande wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've RH9 and Win2K dual boot configuration which is running
> fine. Problem with this is my hard disk is only 30 GB. Out of that I
> had given 20 GB for Win2K and 10 for RH9.

Not a problem.

> Now I've purchased 80GB HD. Is there any way I can add this HD to
> the system without disturning my dual boot configuration which is on
> old HD?

Yes.  Check the jumpering requirements for both drives.  Some drives
have a different jumper setting for "single" than "master with
slave".  Jumper each accordingly.  Do not use "CS" or cable select.
It is ill-thought-out, problematic, and just plain evil.

> Ideally, I would like to do this, if possible:
> 1. Retain my old HD with working conf

No problem.

> 2. Add new HD to the system with (40 GB for Win2K and 40 GB for RH9)

Windoze may recognize the new drive an offer to partition it for you.
It would probably be better to boot to Linux the first time, and then
use

  fdisk /dev/hdb # assuming you put it on the primary controller as
                 # slave

I don't think it matters which one you put first, but partition it
only for the Linux partition.  Leave the rest of the drive as free
space.  Then run (assuming you want Linux to own the first partition.

  mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1

Make a mount point for it, say "/u":

  mkdir /u

Then make an entry in /etc/fstab something like

/dev/hdb1   /u          ext3    defaults        1 2

And just so that you know it works, go ahead and mount it:

  mount /dev/hdb1
or
  mount /u

Then boot to Windoze and see if it offers to partition the rest of the
disk for you.  (If it doesn't, I can't help you.)  Don't let it take
over the Linux partition.

> 3. My system should still boot from existing HD.

No problem.

> Sorry for lengthy description of my requirement.

Thanks for the ample detail that many requests lack.

> Thanks in advance.
> -Vaibhav

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com