localhost not found

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 03:20:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 07:21:19PM -0600, Fred Grant wrote:
> When I log in, I get a  message that the Internet address for
> localhost.localdomain can't be found.  I've added this to /etc/hosts but
> it keeps dropping out.  I kind of think that cron is removing it.
> Everything works OK but it is something I would like to fix.  Does
> anyone know what should be done to correct this?
>
> Thanks

It would have been more helpful if you had posted your /etc/hosts
before and after.  The first line of it needs to read something like
this:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost

I can't think of any reason that something should muck with that.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Wise men still seek Him.