HP Office Jet All-in-One scanning

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 26 18:24:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:52:53AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I was looking for an inexpensive scanner to use under Linux.
> Unfortunately every single one at Fry's for less than $100 is not
> currently supported by Sane. Too bad...
>
>    Then I started looking at the HP All-in-One printer/scanner/copier
> boxes and found that there is a different set of drivers for using
> these devices:
>
> http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/
>
> Apparently it's managed by HP themselves which is cool.
>
>    Does anyone here have any direct experience with this set of
> drivers and how well it works?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I have an HP T65, and my wife had a K80.  The T65 has worked fine for
printing and scanning.  The problem with both of them is that they
have both developed a bad pixel in the scanner so that there is always
a fine line through the picture.  I haven't checked repair cost, but I
imagine it's pretty breath-taking.

The all-in-ones are nice for saving desk space, but when one part of
it goes bad, it's tougher to decide whether to fix it, buy a
replacement for that function, or buy a whole new unit.  Guess it
depends on how much desk space you have.

We don't buy HP stuff anymore.  Sue has a nice Epson flat-bed scanner
and an Epson ink-jet printer.  The K80 is kept for incoming and
outgoing faxes.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Wise men still seek Him.