FC4 imap server?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 30 16:38:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:19:09PM -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I'm working on bringing up a new machine with FC4. The next challenge is
> SquirrelMail. I see SM is installed, but it complains that it cannot log
> in to an imap server. Looking around, I see dovecot, which I have not used
> before. Is there an FC4 specific tutorial on setting it up? I find LOTS of
> doc files, but I'm hoping one is a step by step for FC4.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Harold

I got dovecot working pretty easily in FC3.  The config file is
/etc/dovecot.conf.  Look through it and see if there's anything
obviously not right for your installation, and then

  service dovecot start

If it starts happily, give it a test.  If it doesn't, check
/var/log/messages for clues.  If it starts ok, but something doesn't
work right, check /var/log/maillog and then edit the config file as
required.

Oh, and you'll want to

  chkconfig dovecot on

to assure that it comes up on the next boot.

A quick search (dovecot tutorial) turned up this that might be useful:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-46540.html

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God doesn't have (or need) a Plan B.